Monday, October 08, 2007

Chatting With A.L.I.C.E. & God


Artificial Linguistic Internet Computer Entity

Despite ALICE's claim to being the smartest AI of all she's not what I would call "Intelligent". She is much smarter than any Chatbox application than I have ever interacted with before. If this were the 1960's I'd be totally in awe of ALICE, but it doesn't take much to see that ALICE isn't truly intelligent.


An Exchange With ALICE

The argument goes something like this: If at some point in the future it becomes impossible to tell while chatting to a computer whether you are chatting with a person, or a computer then that computer must possess at least some rudimentary form of intelligence.


ALICE Reminds Me Of Early Chess Programs

I'm not certain that I buy that, but then again it might be I'm just biased against computers. I wonder how long it will be until we all have Artificially Intelligent house computers, and robots. It may take a few decades, but I suspect that they will come in handy.


ALICE's Programmer Has Quite A Sense Of Humor

Everyone should have their own chatterbox. Chatterbox programs can be connected to telephones, email, computers, and even sensors in your home. Chatterbox programs can be linked to websites too. I see these little programs interacting with networks, robots, and human beings. In a way they will act as our personal representatives, and may become a form of immortality taking on our personalities, our memories, and our responsibilities long after we have passed away.


A Chat With An Artificial Intelligence

For now I'd like install an AI chatterbox on my blog. Chatterbox programs can present an avatar, and connect to a speech synthesis program. These programs can also take input from speech recognition programs, which means that you can speak to the chatterbox AI, and it can speak back in a manner similar to what is presented in the Stanley Kubrick film 2001: A Space Odyssey.


IGOD: I Don't Think This Is A Good Idea

Of course some people don't know where to draw the line. This A.I. pretends, but humorously so, to be God Almighty.

No comments:

email jp

  • jeromeprophet@gmail.com

copyright

archive

visitors

evworld

Slashdot

Wired News: Top Stories